Sunday, September 2, 2012

Pics from last days and First Few Days...I can do this


Dad’s package got to Managua just in time! The penguin is a Godsend!! Best pillow ever!! And helping fill the hole left by Training host family. I gave the thank you speech to the Training host families for the Swearing In Celebration and I meant every word! Will try to find it to translate, but along the lines of a huge thank you for all the things big and small with lots of funny anecdotes. The whole ceremony was surreal. Felt very much like graduation; I got a little misty and even cried after hugging Dona Lizeth as she and Melissa walked away to get back on the bus to Masatepe. Somehow, a certificate of appreciation from Peace Corps to the host moms does not seem like enough at all! Won’t forget running by the Ambassador to go to the bathroom before we started- still had to say “good morning Madame Ambassador.” We had speeches from the US ambassador (very cool lady) and members of INTA (our government counterpart) and then shook hands with everyone, received our Peace Corps pins, and that was it- we are finally volunteers!! Let’s all go to the Food Court for lunch! Seriously, a salad never tasted so good.  I even splurged on Indian food (it was only three blocks from the hotel!!) as well as saw Dark Knight. A very American day. The other volunteers celebrated all night long and heard several literally fall into the pool around 4. I just enjoyed the Olympics, mattress beds, and air conditioning.
Got to Praderas to sit and be stared at for 30 min before lugging my stuff to a bar, that was really a house, to use the bathroom. Waited outside with some little kids rifling through my luggage and asking incessant questions to the gringa. My brother, Silvio picked me up. We stopped at the cemetery where the entire community was attending a funeral. My host-cousin had died in a motorcycle accident the Saturday before.
First full day in site and three square meals of beans and cuajada, or cheese (literally means curdled). Already planning menu complements. Went with Edwin, my host dad, in the BIG (really Big) truck and wound up visiting my uncle, don Juan, father of the dead youth. Immediately swept up into helping prep the house for the reso, a 9 day event where everyday at 3 everyone in the community comes to the house of the dead youth to say a rosary and a mass service (minus Communion). It concludes with regrerio, or snack and then everyone goes home to come back again the next day. It reminds me of the Irish wakes in that you’re never alone and the whole family, in this case the community since everyone really is related somehow, descends to help with food and support. Everyone thought I was crying, but I think I’m getting over the initial adjustment to the dust, sun and new plants. Two of the youth have already approached me about forming a soccer team. They remembered verbatim my visit during site week and my asking if they wanted to form a youth league. Good memory! It feels strange trying to integrate during a tragedy, but my simply going to the same events and saying the same words at the same time seems to be satisfactory.
Visited the school and checked in with the Professor (Julia). She wants me to have a manualidad, or crafts, class for both classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Bought myself some time asking to observe how she taught and handled the students for a few weeks. Worried about my Spanish level for a class.  Literally spending the first several weeks just walking up and down the carretera, main road, walking up to each house and introducing myself. It gets easier with practice. There were definitely houses that were more welcoming then others. Also found 2 or 3 socios, or members, of the Community Bank that Jessica formed when she was here. The Bank is still going on two years later! Turns out Isabel, the head of the Bank and also keeper of the CICO, preschool building, keys, was also Edwin’s first wife and they have 2 kids. There were houses that didn’t offer coffee or a seat and it felt particularly forced. I had to remember Lindsey’s advice about going through the steps the first time and then working with those who want you during your service.
 Last day in the Jardin Botanico community and we got a pinata (the head is now on this chica)
I'm going to miss Manuelito, my host-nephew! This is the recycled plastic hat/bag I made out of the plastic bags I found around the neighborhood.
The best host-mom ever!! Dona Lizeth and Melissa with me after the Swearing In!
I know these pictures are placed weird but oh well. We finally made it NICA 59!! We're official with a cake and everything!
8/01- Happy August! So I’ve noticed that the telenovellas all of the same type casts and the same general plots, and, similar to Nicaraguan social norms, it’s ok to have multiple women, affairs, children, and rather physical relationships with lots of ridiculous drama and romantic lines in between. The reso actually helps me plan my day out and not overbook. It also provides a moment to reflect and almost medidate. Intense Spanish day- went downtown to Praderas and listened in at the Comdedor (Restaurant) Blandon where they were having the monthly meeting with all the mayor’s staff. The vice mayor is actually the one who I feel gets stuff done. The mayor just doesn’t have the same people skills or presence. Also got a free lunch and got to ask about funding the soccer team. The meeting was very informative just to observe. Initially thought it seemed very childish, the way every little detail of every solicitation was argued out, but in reality, it’s a sign of the local level of government and the overarching desire to be transparent. They could play with their cellphones a little less, but then so could Americans. Also worth seeing how the whole process works of filling out the solicitation forms and petitioning the local government for funding or to take up a project. Projects include funding a team to investigating a new bus route, to confirming a new vegetable vendors right to sell. Had my first informal English class when I got back-literally me and 8 youth in a hammock talking about fruit. Salad and elote (sweet baby corn) for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment