Saturday, June 9, 2012

Weeks 4 and 5

Week # 4 and 5
Sorry it’s been such a while since posting but definitely hit the ups and downs. Just finished 1st round of cyproflaxine after sleeping for about 14 hours yesterday. After sending some samples to the lab, they think I have a bacterial infection. All part of the experience, but caught up on some reading and Dramamine is a beautiful thing. My family was super sweet and let me be a slug for the rest of the day. Since last I wrote, built an oven with my gringa sister, Lindsey. She was the volunteer my family had before me and she is awesome! Lots of talking about the whole PC experience and the best host family ever! Made the oven in about 4 or 5 hours and hope to use it today to make pizza, but have to get yeast and cheese. Lindsey was a great booster.
 Also, got the ipod and got to run twice before getting sick. Felt great to run and just get into motion. Unfortunately, the first time I ran I didn’t know where I was going and according to my family I ran to the most dangerous part of town, Fatima, and back. They were very worried and I felt very sheepish. Needless to say, I ran to Campos Azules the next time, with permission and guidance.
This past weekend was the beginning of the Patron Saint of Masatepe Festsival so imagine Irish Catholic Church on steroids. About 2 hours smushed together then the bumber car routine to Communion, then standing outside in the midday sun and watching all the amazing folklore and traditional dances. There are kids of all ages who participate in the procession. It starts with fireworks the night before. There will be fireworks again tonight and another procession tomorrow to finish the weeklong festival. It has something to do with “Tincho,” a black Jesus. Lindsey has a banana bread specialty, so got my baking on with Dona Lysett and we made 2 more big banana breads before the fireworks. My brother-in-law has family who are in charge of the whole festival. Got some of my host cousins and nieces and nephews to help me make the paper greenhouse for the garden project. They were quite enthusiastic which was a nice pick-me-up. Have also started braiding plastic bags to possible crochet later. Otherwise all trash, including plastic bags, get burned outside of the house or are used to start kitchen cooking fires.
Made a makeshift volleyball net for the informal youth meetings on Sunday which all the kids loved. Unfortunately, gender norms make it so if the boys want to play, then the girls don’t, so we are constantly coming up with alternatives or separate activities. It is nice though that so many come and during the week ask me if the meeting is at the same time and place.
There are some days when I actually just let myself fall asleep because I’ve crammed that much Spanish into my brain or I’ve done that much planning or integrating, etc. Also been having some group dynamic issues. My family was actually very comforting and supportive as I explained what was frustrating me and it’s nice to hear their perspective having already had one trainee who has come back and told them about her (Lindsey) experience. Tempers were also a little high since we had our official charla, or life skills talk with the youth this past Tuesday and seemed to wait until Monday to plan it out.  The charla itself went fine. I had a group of boys who told me they wanted to graduate and become policemen, architects, and lawyers. I am also realizing that I have a little more formal and informal education experience than the average Agr. Volunteer (especially since the last several  charlas have been on facilitation, informal education (like Friere),  and Sustainable Development). Basically my thesis in a nutshell. We did get to make organic pesticides for our gardens this week (but the chile felt wicked bad on my hands-gloves next time!!). Also learned about the basic pests, bacteria, and fungi that affect the plants in the campesios. The trick is that it{s way easier for the farmers to just use what has worked in the past or just buy any pesticide even if the problem isn{t a bug. The inorganic pesticides are also expensive and highly toxic in most cases. The PC goal is too help small-scale farmers choose organic pesticides and proactively work with the soil conditions and garden strcture to save money overall.  Also, got to go to Jinotepe, about an hour by bus, to the super fancy market. They have CHOCOLATE CHIPS!! Also got a mini book in Spanish to practice. Definitely worth a repeat trip when my stomach is not doing cartwheels J
Today{s charlas were about gender in development activites. Nicaragua has a big machismo culture, so sometimes it is better to have separate meetings with women and men. PC and most development agencies are esepcially working with women as they are more responsible with money and have a greater generational impact with children and other women. Most community banks are led by women and the improved oven project is also geared towards women. Some of the Catholic stereotypes about pregnancy and the birds and the bees are still very prevalent down here as well as what girls can and can{t do. But I{m just the weird, tall, athletic and outspoken gringa, so I get a pass J The last charla of the day was on cultural adaptation and hitting those points of culture shock, honeymoon, adapting, etc. Hopefully past the 1st shock, but can expect at least one more during tech week and definitely when aclimating to my site. But, with one month under my belt, taking it , one stomachache, and one day at a time.










2 comments:

  1. Sooooo glad to read that the ipod arrived. . . hopefully with all tunes intact although I'm sure it needed a charge! Make staying healthy your numero uno priority! Let's hear it for chocolate chips!!!! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Meg Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear you are sick, but as you said it's all part of the PC process. I love the photos. Sounds like you are in very good hands with your host family. Feel better soon. I mailed you a card with some postcards that should arrive soon. I love you. Love, Wendy

    ReplyDelete