Thursday, May 17, 2012

One week later part 2

More than 12 hours straight of Spanish and it is slowly coming back, like little bits of rust chipping off a bike. By the way, everyone gets around by bike or mototaxi. There are also big schoolbuses that have been decorated various ways to differentiate the routes. Unfortunately, we have to take malaria meds weekly and I didn{t read until this morning that possible side-effects include loss of appetite and fatigue. that is probably why i did not feel awake until the middle of the day. Good to know! Funny story- my host family has a DVD with different music videos and the one they listen to every morning is LMFAO "I{m Sexy and I Know It." It is awesome to wake up to seriously! My host mother says I have to wake up much earlier than 6 to get a seat in church on Sunday, but she walked me by the church when I shadowed her into Masatepe for her regular shopping. Her shopping is a lot like the Farmers Markets. Picture when we got back from Masatepe I pulled out Slamwhich and the tube of bubbles I brought- BIG hit with Melissa, Dianna and Manuelito!! Also did friendship bracelets with the girls, and even my older sister and host mother were really interested. Maybe a gift for Mothers Day- it is the 30th here.Everyone watches different tv shows here. My aunt watches American baseball, my family watches Fear Factor and a kid version of American Idol, Pequenos Gigantes. The boys play soccer every weekend, but they say the league in Masatepe is not as good, so they travel to San Jose and Grenada for games. Went through a whole day without seeing another trainee. Dona Lixeth gave me a tour of the garden- there is extra space where we are going to do one of the trainee projects of starting a community garden. She also introduced me to the rest of the family including my great grandmother! Successfully drew a family tree for studying. Barely making it to 9PM before my brain literally shuts down. Literally fell asleep while writing one night. I did not know that was possible. WE have also been assigned a tree and plant album to create as agriculture trainees. My host siblings loved following me around and explaining all the different uses of the different plants. They seem to know all of them and I can[t think of many children in the states that know this much about plants. The grandmother of one of the other trainees invited us to a wake for the host family of one of the business trainees. It was a lot like the Nawn family wakes- family gathering to reminisce and talk and just come together followed by drnks and food.used my laptop quickly  when I got back, but Meli and Manuel wanted to push all the buttons. My brother-in-law is studying system engineering and has a computer too so he and I talk technical stuff in Spanglish. Rainy season is definitely coming. There are spots of rain or thunderstorms almost every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment