Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Managua almost 24 hours later

Currently showered after having done a few go-arounds in the pool at the Hotel Campo Real where we are staying until Sunday when Pre-Service training finishes up. Big ups to both of Mom and Dad for all the times we traveled in or with a big group, because it made this mornings' organization that much easier. I was the airport group leader and in charge of making sure all 29 volunteers made it through baggage, security, etc. Already the rest of the group has started calling me "Momma Duck" and "Group Mom." Some things never change. Started at 2AM this morning checking out of the Holiday Inn. Didn't get much sleep because was way too nervous. Got to Regan so early that we waited 2 hours before baggage. Actually dozed on the first plane I was that tired, but not before take-off with the capitol dome through the window on my right. There was a little 2 yr old nica boy on the 2nd flight, which was just the right tonic at the time.Needless to say, my Towson High hoodie was no longer necessary by the time I got off in Managua. And, best part, there were several current volunteers who met us at the Managua gate with homemade posters and cheers. After a quick meet and greet, we went to the IPADE training center and spent another powerpoint and Q&A time in one of the conference centers before going to the hotel. Super rusty on the my conversational Spanish already, but I can literally feel the rust getting chipped away as I force myself to engage in conversation with anyone I can find. Also, as the volunteers explained in great detail and humor, there are hand gestures that can help even the most deficient of language abilities (Some are really quite funny). Next up is a couple of days of vaccines, more forms, personal interviews, more Q&As and more forms along with the Spanish interview and assessment to place us in a level with potential site-mates. Saturday afternoon we head out to out training sites and host families.Poor little cellphone from the US tried so hard to get a signal, but no Verizon in Nicaragua. To end, not to sound too cheesy, but it felt a little like coming home landing in Managua, seeing the birds of paradise flowers, the horse and wagons mix with painted schoolbuses in traffic and the tropical paint schemes on the houses. It didn't feel foreign because Costa Rica was such an enjoyable experience. However, I do remember how daunting Costa Rica and the whole culture, language, everything shock was at first, but I was thoroughly proud and excited enjoy chicken and rice with papaya/mango juice like it was the most natural thing in the world, like I had only just left Costa Rica or Nicaragua for a quick break. Little nervous about the language interview, but also feel a little more prepared against the overall culture shock and adaptation. Now if I could just remember all the verb tenses. Got to go because despite the fact rainy season hasn't started yet, the mosquitoes could still carry malaria and we haven't been given the nets yet :) Will try to post a picture soon, but they are also pushing pretty hard that we already try to limit Internet use to embrace the immersion, which I get.Big hugs to all (even the dog)!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Meg
    Not sure what the time difference is, but Happy Birthday! Glad you are firmly entrenched (pun intended) in Managua. No surprise you were chosen as Mama Bear. Love you. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. So my mom just gave me the address of your blog today, I can't believe I didn't know about it sooner! It's so great to read about all of your amazing adventures though :)

    <3 Liz

    ReplyDelete